How to Create a PEM File for Push Notifications for your Website
- Login into the iOS Developer Console go to Apple Developer and click Account at the top.
- Click "Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles.
- Under the Identifiers tab on the left, click App IDs.
- Click on the App ID for your app.
- Scroll down and click 'Edit'.
- Under Production SSL Certificate, click on the "Create Certificate" button.
- Click the Continue Button.
- Click on the "Choose File" button and select the Certificate Signing Request file you have on your machine, then click on "Generate." (Shown Below if you haven't got this)
- Click "Download" to download your new certificate and then click on "Done."
- Double-click the ".cer" file to install it in Keychain Access.
- Move to Create a PEM File
Create a PEM File
How to convert a .P12 certificate and key file into a .PEM push notification certificate for deployment
- Go to your Key Chain and under Category on the Left, Click "My Certificates".
- Expand the certificate using the arrow on the left of it.
- Export certificate and private key separately.
- Select a name test-cert.p12 and choose .p12 as format.
- When prompted for a password, leave it blank. You may be prompted for the system password.
- Do this for the private key and name it test-key.p12
- Open up terminal and type the following in the directory of your certificate to convert .p12 to .pem.
- openssl pkcs12 -clcerts -nokeys -out test-cert.pem -in test-cert.p12
- *When prompted for a password, simply press enter since no password should have been given.
- Now use this command for the Key File.
- openssl pkcs12 -nocerts -out test-key.pem -in test-key.p12
- When prompted for a password, simply press enter since no password should have been given. When prompted to "Enter PEM pass phrase", enter pass phrase of your choice.
- In the same directory remove the encryption of the key file using this command.
- openssl rsa -in test-key.pem -out test-key-noenc.pem
- *This will ask you for the pass phrase you entered in "Enter PEM pass phrase"
- Merge the Certificates using this command.
- cat test-cert.pem test-key-noenc.pem > test-prod.pem
- Put on your Server then link your file using.
stream_context_set_option($ctx, 'ssl', 'local_cert', '/test-prod.pem');
stream_context_set_option($ctx, 'ssl', 'passphrase', 'Enter PEM pass phrase');
How to Create a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) File
- On your Mac, go to the folder 'Applications' → 'Utilities' and open 'Keychain Access.'
- Go to 'Keychain Access' → Certificate Assistant → Request a Certificate from a Certificate Authority. ￼
- Click 'Saved to disk' then fill out the email address to identify with this certificate and in the Common Name field, enter your name, click "Continue."
- Save the file to your hard drive.